Privacy Friendly Weather is an Android app that lets you watch the weather for cities and locations you are interested in.
The Privacy Friendly Weather-app provides the following features:
- The forecast of the current weather as well as a 5 day / 3 hour forecast. The weather data includes details such as temperature, a short description of the current weather condition and humidity.
- Locations can either be added permanently until they are removed or non-permanently which means that the location and its weather is forgotten when exiting the location's weather data. Furthermore, Privacy Friendly Weather provides a radius search. This makes it possible to find the locations around a chosen location which have the best weather conditions at the moment. The size of the search space can be set by the user. The unit of temperatures can be set to Celsius or Fahrenheit and the unit of distances to kilometers or miles.
- All weather data are retrieved from the OpenWeatherMap by using their application programming interface (API) available at openweathermap.com/api which provides a free service. In comparison to paid API usages, the free API has a restriction to 60 calls per minute. Additionally, free API usages are processed via so called HTTP and thus, are not encrypted. However, we do not regard this as an issue as all data that are sent forth and back do not contain privacy-related data.
The information OpenWeatherMap knows about users of Privacy Friendly Weather is displayed below:
The weather data is delivered by OpenWeatherMap. All requests are send by so called HTTP requests meaning that the request is not encrypted. Thus, the context of the request – the location – is known. Furthermore, OpenWeatherMap knows to which app the request belongs to, because the app has to send an identification key to receive the data. This identification key is identical for all users of Privacy Friendly Weather.
Other pre-installed weather apps potentially offer the following problems:
- Pre-installed weather apps can be managed by the user in Android version 6 "Marshmallow" and above. This means that the app could send data into the Internet without the user’s knowledge from the first start.
- Some pre-installed weather apps can be uninstalled, but this is not always possible. In case the app cannot be uninstalled, it could be disabled instead. Although the app remains on the device it cannot be executed further on.
In the following points the Privacy Friendly Weather app differs from other similar weather apps:
- Minimal amount of permissions
Privacy Friendly Weather solely requires the INTERNET-permission to process the HTTP requests to retrieve the weather data. For comparison: The Top Ten of similar apps from the Google Play Store , die im Google Play Store requires an average of 9,8 permissions (in November 2016). These are for instance the location permission or the permissions to access, modify or delete storage.
- No advertisement
Many other free apps in the Google Play Store dazzle annoying advertising which also shortens battery life.
- Radius Search
Find locations around a chosen location which have the best weather conditions at the moment.
Download the App
We offer several ways to download the app:
- Official Google Play Store (Feel free to provide feedback, see contact. We would be pleased to receive a positive rating if you like the app)
- F-Droid Store (The F-Droid Store is an open source software store where you can download the APK-file of the app. Apps installed that way won't receive any updates, unless you regularly download the newest version from the F-Droid website or use the official F-Droid Store App).
- If you are interested in the development of apps or the source code, you can find it at GitHub.